SIKAT is a charitable trust that aims to provide a better future for the children and young adults in the Philippines through education.
We are committed to providing a long-term change for the lives of children and young adults in underprivileged communities in the Philippines.
Our work in the UK is mainly fundraising and administration. This work is carried out entirely by the trustees of SIKAT and its volunteers. We believe that by helping the child through education you can help the entire family.
We get involved with people directly. We link donors to those in need through child sponsorships and we believe that getting people connected is the best way to make a difference. Furthermore we help communities to identify their own needs and plan their own activities so that they can become self-sustaining.
We are run entirely by our Trustees and volunteers, with no paid staff. They give their time because everyone involved with Sikat is dedicated to the idea that education is a vital lifeline to young people trapped in the cycle of poverty. We hope eventually to take our work beyond Calingag into other disadvantaged areas of the Philippines where education is the only pathway to a better future.
To view SIKAT's short and long-term projects please go to the Projects tab.
- To continue improving the Calingag school by the addition of a computer room and equipment, physical education facilities, a home economics room, library, first aid room and toilet, faculty room, and a canteen.
- To set up similar schools in other deprived rural areas.
- To provide affordable school books, stationery and clothing.
- To establish more vocational training courses for school leavers and to introduce computer training courses to equip them with basic computer skills.
- To establish free libraries for the Calingag community.
- To set up early learning centres in Calingag to provide a warm and caring environment where pre-school children can develop social skills and self-discipline.
- To introduce a tutoring service for disabled, orphaned and special needs children.
- To facilitate sponsoring a child's education
- To help young people (up to the age of 21) without distinction of gender, sexual orientation, race, or political or religious background.
- To advance their education, including pre-school activities and adult education and training.
- To develop young people's skills and their capabilities so they are able to participate in society as independent, mature and responsible individuals.
- To provide recreational and leisure activities in the interest of their social welfare.
- To give them a chance to pursue careers which they would not otherwise be able to obtain through lack of means.
Our vision is to expand Sikat to other islands of the Philippines. There are many more villages and rural communities desperate to educate their children.
Area of Operation
- Education / Training
- Relief of Poverty
- Children and Young People
- Grant to Individuals and Organisations
- Provides Buildings / Facilities / Open Space
- Other Charitable Activities